South Florida Business Journal – Miami, Fla. – Managing Editor – 11/13 – Present.
Run the daily operations of the South Florida Business Journal in one of American City Business Journal’s largest markets. This includes overseeing the digital strategy for the SFBJ, a weekly which operates a daily news site which garners more than 1 million visits per month. Analyze usage behaviors and use the data to develop the most relevant, original and appealing content for our online audience.
Supervise and edit a team of four reporters and a digital producer that prepare daily content for www.southfloridabusinessjournal.com. Reporter beats are: Breaking Ground (real estate, hotel & transportation); Economic Development (restaurant & retail, airlines & airports, conventions & meetings, attractions & gaming); Money (banking, private equity companies, public companies, insurance & foreclosures) and Venture (fast-growing companies, startups, accelerators/incubators, venture capital, tech companies).
Named Acting Editor-in-Chief a week after being hired, a role I filled – in addition to that of Managing Editor – for eight months. This included overseeing the redesign of the SFBJ’s weekly print edition and online website, including boosting the original content offered both in print and online, and hiring two reporters.
The Arizona Republic – Phoenix, Ariz. – Editor – 7/06 – 10/13.
• Business Engagement Editor. Managed and edited the Business page for azcentral.com, which generated 100 million hits per month. Selected, edited and published stories, photos, videos, link sets, SMS alerts, push notifications, e-mail newsletters and other content. Developed original online business and consumer protection content. Worked directly with print and TV editors, reporters, interns and freelancers to adapt and enhance content for print, desktop, broadcast, mobile, tablet and social media platforms.
• Served as Assistant Business Editor. Managed and edited the economy team, a four-member group of senior reporters writing for the business and metro sections for a daily with nearly 500,000 circulation, business magazines and azcentral.com. Reporters’ beats were banking/markets/personal finance, economy/workplace issues, energy/mining and defense/technology/telecommunications. Produced and edited weekly CareerBuilder and Arizona Business Gazette sections, including oversight of both publications’ budgets. Managed and edited interns and freelancers.
• Served as the editor of the Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale and Phoenix community sections over a two-year period. As The Glendale Republic and The Peoria Republic editor, managed and edited two, three-day-a-week community sections and supervised seven staff writers, including municipal, business, education, public safety and mobile reporters. As The Scottsdale Republic editor, supervised a team of seven staff writers, including municipal, transportation, health, education and general-assignment reporters, writing for a six-day-a-week section, As The Phoenix Republic editor oversaw veteran staff writers, entry-level reporters and freelancers writing for a three-day-a-week community section.
The Arizona Republic – Phoenix, Ariz. – Staff Writer/Editor – 12/00 – 6/06.
• As a Latino affairs reporter on Hispanic issues topics team wrote about neighborhoods, community and advocacy groups, higher education, social services, health and cultural trends for one year. Responsible for daily enterprise, features and spot news, including writing for the weekly Latino-themed Extra! section. On-call editor filling in for section, metro, weekend and night-desk slots.
• On the education beat covered multiple school districts over five years, including Mesa Public Schools, the state’s largest school district, and the Phoenix Elementary and Phoenix Union High School districts, inner-city districts struggling with funding issues, high minority enrollment and low student achievement.
South Florida Sun Sentinel – Delray Beach, Fla. – Staff Writer – 11/99 – 11/00.
Covered four cities in Palm Beach County for daily with circulation of 265,000. Spot news, features, enterprise and general assignment. Covered Palm Beach County commission and Florida Legislature.
North County Times – Escondido, Calif. – Staff Writer – 5/98 – 11/99.
Immigration and minority affairs reporter. Spot news, features and in-depth enterprise projects for daily with circulation of 100,000. Bilingual topics team writer that also covered stories not related to beat.
RCM Capital Mgt. – San Francisco, Calif. – Account Administrator – 2/87 – 4/95.
Maintained personal trust and pension trust accounts, including general ledger input and output. Reported daily trades. Performed cash and asset reconciliations. Handled client appraisals and audit requests. Group leader responsible for training and supervising team of four, including planning and overseeing projects.
California Investment Trust – San Francisco, Calif. – Operations Manager – 3/86 – 9/86.
Full charge of operations. Administered daily trades consisting of municipal bonds and notes, GNMA’s, Repo’s and Treasuries.
J.P. Morgan Investment Mgt. Inc. – New York, N.Y. – Accountant/Cash Manager – 9/80 – 2/86.
• As a Pension Trust Accountant, maintained the general journal/ledger on a commingled fund and a profit-sharing fund for one year. Originated monthly and annual reports on these funds.
• For nearly five years served as Cash Manager determining the daily cash positions of trustee pension accounts, including a high volume money market fund. Administered daily trades. Trained office staff.